Did you know that glaucoma is the leading cause of irreversible blindness in the U.S.?¹ Here are four ways you can help your employees promote good eye health.
- Encourage regular eye exams. Eye exams can help detect high-risk conditions like diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol.2 In fact, hundreds of systemic health conditions can be detected in an eye exam.3
- Regular dilated eye exams are also the best way to catch and prevent vision damage or vision loss due to glaucoma. Eye exams are especially important because some forms of glaucoma progress slowly with no symptoms.
- Promote medication adherence. Medicines are available that can lower the pressure inside the eyes and prevent damage to the optic nerve. But medicines can only work when people use them as directed.
- Moderate exercise may be helpful. For individuals with some types of glaucoma, a brisk walk for 20 minutes, four times a week could lower pressure inside the eye. Talking with a doctor before starting any exercise, however, is extremely important.
- Remember about eye safety. Traumatic glaucoma or secondary glaucoma can result from eye injuries at work, at home or on the field. Promoting eye safety everywhere can help keep employees healthy and on the job.
Vision coverage is important for the overall health of your employees. Talk with your broker or insurance carrier for more information about choosing a vision plan for your company. Or visit https://specialtybenefits.info/vision.
1. Glaucoma Research Foundation website: January is Glaucoma Awareness Month (accessed January 11, 2018): glaucoma.org.
2. Vision Council of America, Vision in Business, 2007.
3. American Academy of Ophthalmology. Your Eyes Could Be the Windows to Your Health (December 3, 2014): aao.org
Jason Kinzy is a marketing manager at Anthem, Inc. and is responsible for the promotion of Anthem’s specialty business (dental, vision, voluntary, life and disability plans) to members, employers and brokers. He has 20 years of health care marketing communications experience.